- Galloway's smack-down of the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations is a classic. Two quotes:
"I told the world that Iraq, contrary to your claims did not have weapons of mass destruction. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to al-Qaeda. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that Iraq had no connection to the atrocity on 9/11 2001. I told the world, contrary to your claims, that the Iraqi people would resist a British and American invasion of their country and that the fall of Baghdad would not be the beginning of the end, but merely the end of the beginning.
Senator, in everything I said about Iraq, I turned out to be right and you turned out to be wrong and 100,000 people paid with their lives; 1600 of them American soldiers sent to their deaths on a pack of lies; 15,000 of them wounded, many of them disabled forever on a pack of lies."
"Senator, this is the mother of all smokescreens. You are trying to divert attention from the crimes that you supported, from the theft of billions of dollars of Iraq's wealth.
Have a look at the real Oil-for-Food scandal. Have a look at the 14 months you were in charge of Baghdad, the first 14 months when $8.8 billion of Iraq's wealth went missing on your watch. Have a look at Halliburton and other American corporations that stole not only Iraq's money, but the money of the American taxpayer.
Have a look at the oil that you didn't even meter, that you were shipping out of the country and selling, the proceeds of which went who knows where? Have a look at the $800 million you gave to American military commanders to hand out around the country without even counting it or weighing it.
Have a look at the real scandal breaking in the newspapers today, revealed in the earlier testimony in this committee. That the biggest sanctions busters were not me or Russian politicians or French politicians. The real sanctions busters were your own companies with the connivance of your own Government."
Every word true.
- The essential background reading on the real scandal involving the sanctions is the Joy Gordon article on how the United States and Britain manipulated the sanctions to intentionally kill civilians.
- Here are the details of the sloppy cut-and-paste forgery used to frame Galloway (see also here, and note the connection to Chalabi).
- The Bush administration knew about the illegal oil sales and kickbacks to Saddam's regime but turned a blind eye to them. In fact, American oil purchases accounted for 52% of the kickbacks. The major instigator was a Houston company named BayOil (and scroll down for the initial work on a possible George Bush connection). The head of BayOil, David Chalmers Jr., is a long-time Republican donor.
- Also implicated in the current scandal is Tongsun Park, a Korean CIA agent who was behind the Koreagate scandal, and who has strong ties to the staunchly Republican Unification Church.
- Finally, here is a little background on 'family values' guy Norm Coleman, who of course won the seat vacated when the Republicans murdered Paul Wellstone.
I understand that American Senators are a bunch of hypocrites, but do they have to be so obvious about it?