The secret Israel-Iran alliance isn’t much written about (it’s a secret, after all). Here are some quick points to think about:
- the ‘doctrine of the periphery’, the idea that Israel’s natural allies are non-Arab states not adjacent to Israel, which Susser indicates is dead, is very much alive, applying now both to Turkey and the Kurds (an impossibility in the long run, which both Turkey and the Kurds are going to find out), and applies most of all to the Persians (Cyrus the Great was the liberator of the Jews!)
- Iran facilitated the immigration of the Jews from Iraq to Israel in 1948-1949
- continuing dealings between Ledeen and Ghorbanifar, who represents Iranian business interests (the real long-term power base in Iran)
- Israeli support for Iran in the Iran-Iraq war
- a little thing we like to call Iran-Contra, although the Contras got very little out of it, should have been called Iran-Israel, as it was primarily a deal for the Israelis to sell arms to Iran.
The relationship is literally thousands of years old, and a few Mullahs aren’t going to slow it down. The fact that Iran lies completely outside the proposed boundaries of Greater Israel is a bonus.