Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Conrad versus Bill and Henry the K

William F. Buckley and Henry Kissinger were insufficiently supportive of convicted fraudster Conrad Black for Conrad’s liking, so he wrote one of the weirdest and most convoluted dissings of two prominent men that you will ever read.  On the Emily Post method of approaching a fellow member of the Establishment to lie about your personal sanctity:

“The facts are that I asked a mutual friend to ask Mr. Buckley if he would prefer not to be asked to write a character reference for me to the judge. I wanted to make it easy for him to decline. He replied that he would like to do so, and so I asked him, explaining that if, on reflection, he would rather not, I would perfectly understand.”

This sounds like something Wodehouse would have put into the mouth of Bertie Wooster.  At least Buckley wrote something, unlike Henry the K, who was apparently too busy fighting for the Zionist Empire to lift a pen for an old pal and employer:

“Knowing Mr. Kissinger as well as I do, I suspected that he would behave as Richard Nixon told me he generally did when a colleague came under pressure: privately declare solidarity with both sides and separate himself, so that neither side would confuse him with the other side, until it became clear which side had won. He promised more, and I hoped for more, but Mr. Kissinger is an 84-year old fugitive from Nazi pogroms, and has made his way famously in the world by endlessly recalibrating the balance of power and correlation of forces in all situations.

The correlation of forces between the U.S. government and me has obviously been generally unpromising, and Mr. Kissinger has less natural affinity for the principles involved here than Mr. Buckley does. His statements, publicly and to the FBI, that I am probably guilty of something but that he ‘never deserts a friend,’ are not heroic or even accurate, but on past form, not altogether a surprise either.”

Catty, if not altogether inaccurate!  The final zinger (emphasis in red):

“For such men and for the sake of happy days gone by, that could yet return, I offer the other cheek, but not unilateral verbal disarmament. They need only survive and retain their faculties a while longer to see that my present embattled condition is not, as Mr. Buckley wrote, "the end." I wish that for them, and all other good things.”