Besides not being prevented by laissez-faire ideology from dealing with the big economic problems, the new government can immediately begin to correct other problems with Conservative rule:
- reverse the disdain for the environment;
- stop allowing Americans to execute Canadians without complaint;
- begin to stop fighting the ridiculous war on drugs (with the NDP in cabinet, this would be a wonderful time for legalization);
- get out of Afghanistan quicker than the 2011 date in place now;
- renegotiate NAFTA (on terms favorable to Canada, assuming the Americans don't want to freeze in the dark!);
- stop the typical conservative out-of-control wasteful spending on tax cuts for the rich and worse-than-useless military crapware;
- bring back the Liberal-Aboriginal agreement scrapped by the Conservatives;
- reinforce a federal commitment to health care (universal pharmacare would be a very good idea: the money saved on military spending could pay for it);
- restore the Liberal child care system (which was all ready to go until destroyed by Harper and his goons); and
- restore Canada's reputation as a peaceful 'fair broker' in international relations.
This is a platform which represents the vast majority of Canadians. It will be refreshing not to have to listen to the opinions of fruitcakes trying to drag us back into the nineteenth century.