- Tony Blair, who is supposed to be some sort of 'honest broker' in sorting out that little Israeli-Palestinian difference of opinion over how much land the Israelis can steal from the Palestinians, has just received a $1 million bribe from the Israeli side. Of course, he will continue to be just as fair and balanced as before.
- Let's say you are President of the University of Toronto Knitting Club and you want to book a room on campus to hold a meeting. Who do you call? Why, the President of the University, David Naylor, who has so little to do that he is personally involved in the booking of meeting rooms at the University. I assume if you ask nicely he'll wander over and help to set up the chairs and tables.
- The NYT informs us that Bibi is 'pragmatic' (he's starting to look a little like Chance the Gardener from 'Being There'). Of course he is. He doesn't care whether it is tank shells, aerial bombardment, slow poisoning from putting toxins on agricultural land, starvation by blocking food shipments, denial of medical care, or simply shooting unarmed civilians waving white flags. As long as it results in dead Palestinians, Bibi is a pragmatist.
- The Israeli elections could not have turned out better. We got to see the 'left' prove that there is not a hair's breadth difference between it and eliminationist Avigdor Lieberman (note how Lieberman's name somehow never appears in the NYT piece!), as it tried to suck up to Lieberman to obtain his support. Then we got to see the inevitable Likud-Yisrael Beytenu coalition, with Lieberman crowned King of the Jews. No more will Israel be able to make any kind of argument that it really would like to negotiate if only it had a negotiating partner, Hamas wasn't around, there weren't suicide bombers, there weren't rockets, Arafat wasn't around, the dog ate my homework, etc., etc., etc. The traditional 'lite' presentation of the Israelis as basically good people in a bad neighborhood will no longer fly. Nobody will accept Bibi and his new boss as wanting to negotiate anything. It has now become so much clearer that the only solution is to push the Jews into the sea (where that swimsuit that Bar sports so fetchingly will come in handy). I'm sure the Palestinians will be gracious and hospitable, as always, to that tiny minority of real anti-Zionist Jews who want to stay. The Americans will get the well-deserved booby prize of hosting the rest of them.
- In case you are wondering how fucked the United States is, this was the top story on CNN Mobile yesterday: "Socks, former Clinton cat, put to sleep"
Stop worrying about the comments. If I see an obvious denier posting - presumably from the Israeli blog warrior crowd - I just skip to the next one. Easy.