Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Windows 7 Catch 22

Well, I'm back. Back to Vista. There seems to be a problem with the Nvidia video drivers. You need the one made for Windows 7 in order to see anything - the one for Vista doesn't work for Windows 7 - but you can't install the one for Windows 7 on Vista without the installation hanging indefinitely. I'll have to wait until somebody figures this out.

The good news is that I have Vista working better. Over the months, it had been corrupted by the Windows automatic update process. I was at one point trying to install Service Pack 2 when it told me I needed to first install Service Pack 1. When I tried to do this it told me Service Pack 1 had already been installed, and it wouldn't let me uninstall it so I could start again! Catch 22. Vista is good brain exercise, as it constantly throws up these conundrums.

The Windows 7 installation process is itself interesting. It starts out fine, telling you everything it is doing. Then it just goes black. For hours. Hours during which I am sure a lot of people have given up, thinking hat the process had failed. There may be some good reason for going black from time to time, but this seems to be typical Microsoft sociopath behavior. Just as with the bizarre decision to make the screen go black when you install a new program in Vista, the crazies at Microsoft just want to remind their customers of who is the real boss.
blog comments powered by Disqus