- Unions should be strengthened.
- Child labor should be stopped.
- The working man should have a living wage.
- Wealth should be redistributed through increased taxation of the wealthy.
- The Federal Reserve should be nationalized to end the Depression by preventing the cash squeeze imposed by the banksters (I wonder what he'd think of the cash squeeze the banksters have the United States under today?).
- New Deal policies were correct (but he later turned against Roosevelt believing that Roosevelt had been captured by the banksters).
- Money wasted on wars should be distributed to the poor.
"‘Firedoglake’ is progressive– just don’t talk about Palestine" It is impossible to be truly progressive and not be a rabid supporter of the rights of the Palestinian people.
It appears that populations under severe economic pressure either turn to some form of socialism or some form of fascism. Americans won't turn to anything even remotely resembling socialism.
"Mosque-Hating Rednecks Discover That Gasoline Can Burn Things" And elsewhere: "The English Defence League uncovered" Notice the common Islamophobia as an organizing principle.
The Father Coughlin's of today aren't made of the same stuff:
"Glenn Beck announced, 'I heard two estimates from the media. One was 300,000 and the other was 500,000. So, who knows just how many are actually here today.'"
Answer: "Glenn Beck Rally Attracts Estimated 87,000" "The Billionaires Bankrolling the Tea Party" Father Coughlin was eventually banned from the radio by the Catholic Church under pressure from the money interests.