Friday, August 09, 2013

"We don't have a domestic spying program."

Lavabit:
"I have been forced to make a difficult decision: to become complicit in crimes against the American people or walk away from nearly ten years of hard work by shutting down Lavabit. After significant soul searching, I have decided to suspend operations. I wish that I could legally share with you the events that led to my decision. I cannot. I feel you deserve to know what’s going on--the first amendment is supposed to guarantee me the freedom to speak out in situations like this. Unfortunately, Congress has passed laws that say otherwise. As things currently stand, I cannot share my experiences over the last six weeks, even though I have twice made the appropriate requests.
What’s going to happen now? We’ve already started preparing the paperwork needed to continue to fight for the Constitution in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. A favorable decision would allow me resurrect Lavabit as an American company.
This experience has taught me one very important lesson: without congressional action or a strong judicial precedent, I would _strongly_ recommend against anyone trusting their private data to a company with physical ties to the United States.
Sincerely,
Ladar Levison
Owner and Operator, Lavabit LLC"
"Lavabit Encrypted Email Service Shuts Down, Can’t Say Why"

Short history of some recent American Presidents (Barry's entire Presidency summed up in one sentence):
  1. ". . . I had no prior knowledge of the Watergate break-in; I neither took part in nor knew about any of the subsequent coverup activities; I neither authorized nor encouraged subordinates to engage in illegal or improper campaign tactics."  (also:  "I am not a crook.")
  2. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."
  3. "Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."
  4. "We don't have a domestic spying program."
"Israeli colonel proudly admits war crime"

Sharia - bad (and a big imminent threat) in Tennessee, not so bad in Syria:  "Western groupies of the Syrian "revolution" know no limits: they even defend the implementation of Shari`ah"

"Israel will never be a 'normal' state" "If you think I’m a racist, then Israel is a racist state"

Hastings:
". . . if this was not an accident I would be far more concerned about security types working for individuals at Endgame or perhaps even more about the companies that might have contracted Endgame. After all Endgame is in business, has offices and offers stated services - even if they are spooky. But sometimes the customers of such services have a lot more to hide than the contractor itself. I was surprised to see the Chamber of Commerce show up in the story. Just speculation of course but folks working for a squeaky clean outfit might be far more worried about their image - and careers - than a service provider like Endgame itself. After all, Endgame just builds its reputation by doing spectacular cyber warfare stuff. Its customers might have a lot more to conceal."
blog comments powered by Disqus