Saturday, July 15, 2006

The suicide parade

It’s funny how assassinations tend to occur in clusters.  We have recently seen the obvious assassination of Philip Merrill, likely related to what he knew about billions of dollars stolen in Iraq.  Now we have the odd ‘suicide’ – by shotgun, again, along with killing the twelve-year-old autistic son to whom he was devoted - of William H. Lash III.  Lash had the same type of information as Merrill (my emphasis in red):

“Lash took a leave from the law school in 2001, when President Bush appointed him assistant secretary of commerce for market access and compliance. Among his duties at the Commerce Department, Lash headed a task force on the reconstruction of Iraq, in which he dealt with businesses seeking contracts.”

The Lash story has been set up specifically to make it clear that it had to be a murder-suicide, like a ‘locked room’ murder mystery:

“But shortly before 10 p.m. Thursday, police said, Lash and Zackula had a dispute and Zackula ran from the house and called police. Zackula was not hurt, but the dispute was physical enough that police later obtained a warrant charging Lash with domestic assault, Officer Richard Henry said.

Lash never knew about the warrant. When three or four officers arrived at 9:55 p.m., Henry said, they knocked on several doors but got no answer. Within 10 minutes, while trying to decide their next move, the officers heard two gunshots from inside the house, Henry said.

Not knowing who was shooting - and who was being shot at - the officers called for help. Teams of tactical officers and hostage negotiators were summoned, Henry said. Black-clad officers with rifles darted across front lawns, a command post bus was brought in, and police dispatchers phoned neighbors with urgent instructions: Turn off all lights and get in the basement, neighbors said.

After phone calls failed, a police negotiator began circling the house with a bullhorn, two neighbors said. The negotiator gently pleaded with Lash, ‘Bill, we need to know you're okay,’ the neighbors said. ‘Please give us a sign. Answer the phone. Turn on a light.’

The negotiator tried to reach Lash for more than two hours. ‘He was incredibly compassionate,’ said one neighbor, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

After 1 a.m., police released a remote-controlled robot, equipped with a video camera, so police could gauge what was happening inside. The neighbor said the robot rolled slowly down Pathfinder Lane, up the Lash driveway and into the house.

Finally, at 3:50 a.m., officers went inside and found Lash and his son, both dead from gunshots to the upper body.”

So by 10:05 p. m., the police knew that two shots had been fired in a house containing a possibly violent man with a gun and his young autistic son, a man who they knew had barricaded himself in the house (by the way, apparently a completely out of character move), and they wait almost six hours before entering the house?  The ‘incredibly compassionate’ negotiator had to know he was talking to a dead man. The boy could have been bleeding to death during this time.  I find the story far too convenient a way to prove that it had to be suicide.

Someone is making sure that there is no one left alive to disclose the names of the guilty.  Look for a few more ‘suicides’ and ‘accidents’ before this is done.